Amethyst is a beautiful and powerful crystal known for its calming properties, making it a popular choice for those who want to improve their mental and emotional well-being. As with any crystal, it’s important to cleanse your amethyst periodically to rid it of absorbed negative energy and restore its inherent power.
This article will guide you through various methods of cleansing and caring for your amethyst, ensuring that it remains vibrant and effective.
- Amethyst’s calming properties make regular cleansing crucial for maintaining its potency and vibrancy.
- Several cleansing methods exist, from earth-based to water techniques, depending on personal preference.
- Familiarize yourself with amethyst’s properties for proper handling and care during the cleansing process.
Table of Contents
How to Cleanse Amethyst
Cleansing your amethyst is important to maintain its positive energy and remove any negativity it has absorbed. Here are some simple methods to cleanse your amethyst effectively.
Read Next: How to Use Amethyst Crystals
Pour some salt into a small bowl, ensuring that it’s deep enough to cover your amethyst completely. Bury the amethyst in the salt and leave it there for at least 24 hours. The salt absorbs negative energies and cleanses the crystal. Once you’ve finished, rinse the amethyst under clean water to remove any residual salt and pat it dry with a soft cloth.
Fill a bowl with lukewarm water. Gently place your amethyst in the water, making sure it is fully submerged. Allow the crystal to soak for 20-30 minutes. Afterward, carefully remove the amethyst and pat it dry with a soft cloth. Make sure to use water that’s not too hot, as extreme temperatures can damage the crystal.
Another great way to cleanse amethyst is by holding it under running water. As you do this, set your intention to release any negativity from the crystal. This method not only cleanses your amethyst, but also recharges it with positive energy, as water returns it to its natural environment. Ideally, natural water sources, like a stream, are most effective for cleansing the stone.
Sunlight and moonlight are also excellent sources of natural energy that can be used to cleanse and charge your amethyst crystal. Place it in a spot where it will receive direct sunlight or moonlight for a few hours. Sunlight provides revitalizing energy, while moonlight has a calming effect on the stone, making this method ideal for an all-around energy boost.
Smudging your amethyst with sacred smoke from a sage bundle is another method that effectively cleanses the stone. Light the sage bundle and waft the smoke around the amethyst, making sure the crystal is enveloped in the smoke. As you do this, set your intention to remove any negativity from the stone. Repeat this process until you feel the amethyst has been sufficiently cleansed.
You can also cleanse and charge your amethyst by burying it in the earth. Carefully wrap your crystal in a cloth, then bury it in the ground for at least 24 hours, or up to a week if it is a new crystal. This allows the earth’s energy to recharge and cleanse the stone. Afterward, wash the amethyst under running water to remove any dirt and debris.
Pro Tip: Set your intention to cleanse and recharge your amethyst, focusing on eliminating negative energy. This, in addition to the methods above, will ensure that your amethyst crystal remains a powerful source of positivity in your life.
How Do You Cleanse Amethyst When You First Get It?
You can use whichever cleansing method you prefer when you first get an amethyst crystal to clear it of negative energies. Those who feel an affinity with the energy of water may prefer a water cleansing, while those who gravitate toward the earth element may choose to bury their amethyst in the soil to allow Mother Earth to cleanse it.
If you’re looking for an easy way to cleanse amethyst when you first get it, simply leave it in the sunlight or moonlight over the course of 6-8 hours or so. The only caveat is that amethyst is prone to fading if left in the sun repeatedly for long periods of time, so it may be safest to use sunlight cleansing sparingly for this crystal. Moonlight, however, won’t fade it.
Can I Put Water on My Amethyst?
Yes, you can safely use water on your amethyst crystals. It’s a pretty hard and durable mineral. Amethyst rates about a 7 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, which is a system used to determine how resistant minerals are to getting scratched or damaged.
Crystals that are rated at least a 6 on this scale are considered safe to submerge in water—so you can let your amethyst soak in a bowl of water without having to worry about damage.
Can I Cleanse Amethyst with Tap Water?
Yes, you can cleanse amethyst using tap water. It’s a simple and effective method to cleanse this beautiful purple crystal. However, you should probably be aware of a few things about using tap water for cleansing your amethyst.
- Water temperature: First, ensure the water is at room temperature when rinsing amethyst. Exposing the stone to hot or cold water may cause cracks or other damage to its delicate structure. Gently rinse your amethyst under the tap water for a few minutes, allowing the water to flow over its surface, washing away any accumulated negative energy.
- Avoid additives: When cleansing your amethyst with tap water, be cautious not to use any harsh chemicals or additives. These substances can damage the amethyst’s surface and may diminish its energetic properties. Instead, you should use clean, pure water to rinse your crystal.
- Dry the crystal completely: Upon completing the tap water rinse, make sure to dry your amethyst thoroughly. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to gently pat your crystal dry, and be sure to remove any excess moisture.
After cleansing your amethyst with tap water, it is a good idea to charge it under the moonlight, sunlight, or even with the use of other crystals. This will help restore its natural energy and enhance its healing properties.
How Do You Cleanse and Charge Pink Amethyst?
Cleansing and charging your pink amethyst is not different from cleansing and charging purple amethyst. There are several methods you can use to cleanse and charge this beautiful crystal.
One way to cleanse pink amethyst is by using soil. Burying the crystal in healthy soil, such as in a plant pot or outside in an area with dark, nutrient-rich soil, can efficiently remove any negative energies. Make sure to leave the amethyst buried for at least 24 hours, or even up to a week if it is a new crystal.
Another method to cleanse your amethyst is through water and sea salt. Create a mixture of water and sea salt in a bowl, and submerge your crystal in it. Let the amethyst soak overnight, allowing the sea salt to absorb and dispel any unwanted energies. After soaking, rinse the crystal under running water to remove any remaining salt residue.
As for charging, this can be done through sunlight or moonlight (which will also cleanse the crystal). There’s also selenite, another type of crystal capable of cleansing and charging other crystals. To use selenite for this purpose, just place your pink amethyst next to or on top of the selenite and leave it there overnight, or for up to 24 hours.
How to Clean Raw Amethyst Crystal
Follow these steps to maintain the beauty and integrity of your raw amethyst crystal.
- Step 1: Start by gathering the necessary materials for cleaning your raw amethyst crystal. You will need lukewarm water, a soft brush or cloth, gentle soap, and a soft towel. Remember to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the crystal’s surface.
- Step 2: First, fill a basin with lukewarm water and add a small amount of gentle soap into the water. Gently mix the soap with the water to create a soapy solution. It is crucial to use lukewarm water because extreme temperatures may cause damage to the amethyst.
- Step 3: Place your raw amethyst crystal into the soapy water and allow it to soak for a few minutes. This will help loosen any dirt or debris on the surface of the crystal. Next, take your soft brush or cloth and gently scrub the amethyst, focusing on any areas with visible dirt or stains. Be sure to be gentle to avoid scratching the crystal.
- Step 4: After you have thoroughly cleaned the amethyst, rinse it under running water to remove any soap residue. Hold the crystal with care and make sure the water stream isn’t too strong to prevent any potential damage. It’s important to remove all traces of soap, as any residue can interfere with the crystal’s energetic properties.
- Step 5: Finally, pat your raw amethyst crystal dry with a soft towel and place it on a clean surface to air dry completely. This step ensures that no moisture remains on the crystal, which could lead to discoloration or other damage over time.
How to Clean Large Amethyst Geodes
Cleaning large amethyst geodes can be a delicate process, but with the right approach, you can ensure their beauty and energy remain intact. To clean your large amethyst geodes, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Put a soft towel on a flat surface to protect the geode while you clean it. Keep a clean, soft-bristle toothbrush, gentle dish soap, and a container of water nearby.
- Step 2: To begin cleaning the geode, dip the toothbrush in water and add a small amount of dish soap to the bristles. Gently scrub the surface of the amethyst, being careful not to apply too much pressure. Focus on areas with visible dirt or debris, working methodically across the entire surface. Keep your movements gentle and consistent to avoid damaging the delicate crystals.
- Step 3: As you clean, periodically rinse the toothbrush in water to remove any accumulated dirt and soap.
- Step 4: Once you have completed the scrubbing process, prepare to rinse the geode. Hold the geode carefully over a sink or container and gently pour clean water over it, ensuring that all soap is washed away.
- Step 5: After rinsing, inspect the geode to make sure all dirt and soap have been removed. If you spot any persistent areas, repeat the cleaning process as needed.
- Step 6: Last but not least, place the geode on the soft towel, and let it air dry. Do not use a hairdryer or place it in direct sunlight, as excessive heat can damage the crystals. Allow the amethyst geode to dry completely before returning it to its display location.
What Not to Do with Amethyst
When it comes to maintaining the beauty and integrity of your amethyst, there are certain precautions you should take.
Let’s discuss what you should avoid doing with your amethyst to prevent damage and preserve its natural properties.
Be cautious when exposing your amethyst to heat. High temperatures can cause the color of the gemstone to fade or change. Avoid placing your amethyst near sources of heat, such as radiators, ovens, or direct sunlight for extended periods.
Don’t Apply Harsh Chemicals
Steer clear of using harsh chemicals or acids when cleaning your amethyst. Substances such as hydrofluoric acid, ammonium fluoride, and alkaline solutions can erode the surface and compromise the structure of the gem. Instead, opt for gentle methods like using mild soap and water or specialized crystal cleansers.
Avoid Abrasive Materials
While amethyst is a pretty hard material, it’s best to use caution. So avoid using paper towels or other abrasive materials when you’re cleaning amethyst as they may scratch the surface of your crystal.
No Ultrasonic Cleaners
Ultrasonic cleaners are not inherently unsafe for amethyst, but these machines can cause vibrations that may result in damage to the stone or the formation of fractures. Therefore, it’s recommended to clean amethyst using gentler methods, such as soaking in a warm water solution with a few drops of mild detergent, followed by a thorough rinse and patting dry with a soft cloth.
It’s important to store your amethyst properly when not in use. That is, don’t keep it stored in a bag with other hard materials and gemstones that might scratch it. Instead place your amethyst in a soft pouch or lined jewelry box to protect it. And remember to keep it from touching other crystals or hard surfaces that could damage it.
How Do You Clean Amethyst and Clear Quartz?
To clean amethyst and clear quartz, use a gentle soap and lukewarm water. Gently scrub the crystals with a soft cloth or a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove any dirt or debris. Rinse them thoroughly and let them air dry completely before storing or using them. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they may damage the crystals.
How to Activate Amethyst
Activating your amethyst can be done through meditation and visualization techniques. Just hold the crystal in your hand and focus your intention on connecting with its energy. Close your eyes and visualize a healing, protective light surrounding the amethyst. With a clear intention in mind, you can establish an energetic link between yourself and the crystal, activating its properties.
Can Amethyst Be Charged in the Sun?
Although natural light can help charge some crystals, amethyst should not be charged in direct sunlight repeatedly. Prolonged exposure to the sun can cause the color of amethyst to fade. To charge your amethyst, use the sunlight method sparingly, or use alternative methods like moonlight or burying it in the earth.
How to Charge Amethyst in Moonlight
One of the best ways to charge your amethyst is by placing it under moonlight, particularly during a full moon. Set your crystal outside or on a windowsill where it can absorb the moon’s energy overnight. Remove it in the morning and feel the enhanced energy of your amethyst.
Amethyst Crystal Benefits
Amethyst is known for its many benefits, including:
- Calming anxiety
- Enhancing spiritual protection
- Improving sleep quality
- Encouraging spiritual growth
- Strengthening intuition
- Facilitating meditation
These benefits make amethyst a valuable addition to your crystal collection.
Where Do You Put Amethyst on Your Body?
To harness the energy of amethyst, you can place it on different areas of your body, depending on your intention. Here are a few suggestions:
- Place it on your third eye or crown chakra to enhance intuition and spiritual development.
- Hold it in your hand during meditation for a deeper connection to your inner self.
- Wear it as jewelry, such as a necklace or earrings, to keep its calming energy close throughout the day.
Experiment with different placements to find what works best for you and your personal needs.